René Aquarius graduated 2013 July 2nd, after which he left the ORL. Click his LinkedIn tag.
To Thesis: Causes and Effects of Spinal Fractures
T: +31 (0)
In 2000, I moved to Nijmegen to start my study Biomedical Sciences. During my first 3 years of study I did an internship at the anatomy department, where I investigated the remodeling process of cerebral arteries in rats. This research was nominated for the award best bachelor internship (“Jan Bex Prijs”). After these first three years I decided to major in Human Movement Sciences. I did an internship at the “Politecnico di Milano” (Milan, Italy) to work on a finite element model of a knee prosthesis. This research was supervised by Pasquale Vena. In december 2005, I obtained my Master degree and started working in the Orthopaedic Research Laboratory.
go to top
During my first year in the ORL, I mainly focused on porous titanium particles as replacement for bone chips in bone impaction grafting. Normally, morselized cancellous bone chips are used in order to compensate for the bone stock loss that occurs during the primary arthroplasty. However, the use of bone chips also has some downsides, such as transmission of pathogens and shortage of bone. The porous titanium particles can be used as an alternative for bone chips and thereby reduce the abovementioned problems. An in-vitro study was presented at the EORS 2008 and was nominated for the EORS-award.
I also studied the behavior of wire tension of the Ilizarov External Fixator during loading. Clinicians emphasize on putting proper tension on these wires, but these seem to lose their tension very fast after cyclic loading. These findings were published in 2007.
Currently I’m working on 2 projects. The first one is an intergrated European Project (ExAct ResoMat) where we are trying to develop and test a technology that can externally activate an implant inside the body (for example bone plates, pins, etc), at any given time, to resorb. I will perform surgery on laboratory animals to test this technique in-vivo. For the second project I will test a new material to be used in vertebroplasty. The goal of this project is to reduce adjacent fractures, a common problem in vertebroplasty. For this project we are closely working together with the University of Twente.